Gourmet Comfort Food
An integral part of the Wilderness Lodge experience is our thoughtful approach to the culinary arts in a pleasant epicurean-focused setting. That’s a fancy way of saying our family loves good food, and we hope you will enjoy it too!
Meals are intended to be social events for guests to enjoy and share while having engaging conversations with family, friends, and co-workers. All meals at Wilderness Lodge are prepared fresh daily, using locally grown produce whenever possible. From our own gardens to farmers markets to roadside produce stands, the shorter the time from harvesting to your table the better. We are also bringing back some of the famous and adored recipes from Miss Hulling’s Cafeteria that the Apted family (Miss Hulling was Stephen Apted’s mother) used to serve at the Lodge back in the 1970’s. We call it gourmet comfort food, and we believe you will love it as much as we do!
“Gastronomy, has been the joy of all peoples through the ages. It produces beauty and wit and goes hand in hand with goodness of heart and a consideration of others.”
Charles Pierre Monselet, French author (1825-1888)
What smells so good in the lodge?
At Wilderness Lodge, dinner and breakfast are both included with each night’s stay. We also welcome dining only guests to our restaurant, but please call ahead for reservations.
For breakfast, there is a continental selection of fresh fruits, cereals, and juices — plus a hot plate selection like our yummy sausage egg-bake or melt-in-your-mouth warm french toast and syrup.
For dinner, there is no menu… just healthy portions of a fixed 3-course offering that changes nightly based on what fresh produce is seasonably available. A sampling of our main course selections is listed below, all of which are accompanied with a fresh salad and warm oven-baked bread followed by a mouth-watering dessert.
Main course offerings:
- Chicken Duo with one juicy baked breast and one crispy fried leg
- Braised Brisket, marinated in Red Wine and slow cooked for hours
- Pan fried Meatloaf, oven roasted then finished in the pan with bacon
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breast stuffed with Boursin Cheese
- Apple Pork Tenderloin with roasted Apples and Onions
- Lemon Thyme Chicken with White wine Sauce
- Braised Short Ribs, slow cooked short ribs with a small amount of tomatoes
- Homemade Cheese Ravioli filled with ricotta and spinach
- Stuffed Chicken Breast, stuffed with ham, cheese and asparagus
- Pasta Sauces with Tomato, Meat, and Mushrooms
- Red Wine Sausage with Beans and Polenta
Some yummy sides:
- Squash Casserole
- Sweet Corn Pudding
- Green beans braised with bacon and onion
- Grilled Eggplant with garlic, red pepper, and olive oil
- Roasted Cauliflower with thyme
- Mushroom Risotto
- Baked Eggplant
- Asparagus baked in cream
- Vegetable/Asparagus Herb Risotto
- Roasted Tomatoes with garlic
- Herb Baked Carrots with parsley and garlic
- Steamed Broccoli with beurre blanc
And some mouth watering desserts:
- Fresh Plum Crumble with Blueberries
- Peach Shortcake
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Peach Tart with Smokey Almond Crust
- French Silk Chocholate
Off the Vine!
“I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food.”
– W. C. Fields
Our approach to the Wilderness Lodge wine selection is to have a little something for everyone to enjoy — from bubbly Prosecco’s and oaken and buttery Chardonnay’s to bold, complex, flavorful reds. Our wine list is derived from selecting a small array of quality winemakers that offer a high quality product at reasonable prices. This is an on-going and evolving process, and we welcome you to join in on our wine enthusiast journey. And for those who prefer other libations, we have a fully stocked bar supported by our friendly bartenders that are happy to customize your cocktail to order.
The Lodge Dining Area
This fully refurbished early 1900′s historic lodge is the locaction of our large dining room area as well as a family lounge. Large windows and patio doors overlook the hillside, the Black River, and our sprawling 3 acre front lawn. The wood beamed cathedral ceilings and interior exposed logs are the perfect backdrop for the many antique artifacts and furnishings. Enjoyable additions to the Lodge is the three terraced patio that serves as the gathering place for friends, family and hummingbirds. The relaxing sun-deck, swimming pool, and large hot tub are located here as well.